How to Sew an Underscarf
- Purchase .7m (1 yd) of fabric.
- Cut a large square of fabric: 70cm (27") square.
- Fold the square in half diagonally, wrong sides together, pin in several places to hold in place.
- Stitch across the front, approximately 2cm (1/2") from the folded edge. You could use a decorative stitch in matching thread or a simple straight stitch.
- Stitch again 15cm (6") back from the folded edge.
- Serge the raw edges or use a simple zig-zag stitch.
- Purchase .5m (1/2 yd) of fabric. You will also need a piece of 1/4" wide elastic, 13cm (5") long.
- Cut two rectangles with the following dimensions:
- 34cm x 50cm [13" x 19"] This is the front piece.
- 28cm x 40cm [11" x 16"] This is the back piece.
- Fold the larger rectangle in half (right sides together). Stitch around the edges leaving an opening for turning (diagram 1). Turn right side out, fold in the raw edges of the opening and stitch closed.
- Fold the smaller rectangle in half and repeat the same procedure as above (diagram 1).
- To stitch the front and back together, refer to diagram 2.
- Find the centre of the front and the center of the back, mark with a pin.
- Pin the two pieces, seam edges together, matching centre points.
- The easiest way to sew is from the centre, down to the end of the back piece, then from the centre again down to the other end. *Dont fret about accuracy, just eyeball it.
- Place the piece of elastic along the folded edge of the back. Stretch it fit the width of the back piece. Hold the elastic in place at either end and stitch in place with tiny ziz-zag stitches. This will gather the back.
- See side-view diagram of completed scarf.
- Place the bonnet on your head and tie the two long end at the back of your neck.
This style of scarf works best if the fabric is a bit stretchy.
- Purchase .5m (1/2 yd) of fabric.
- Cut a rectangle 56cm x 48cm (22" x 19").
- Fold back one long edge (wrong sides together) 12cm (4.5") (diagram 1).
- Use a decorative stitch with matching thread: Stitch 1/2" away from the folded edge.
- Stitch along the first raw edge with a straight stitch.
- Hem the bottom raw edge as desired.
- Fold in half, right sides together, (diagram 2).
- Stitch the vertical seam to form a tube. Fold out.
- Wear this underscarf like a headband, with all of your hair in the tube.
- I usually pull it down around my neck, then pull it back so my hair is swept off my face and neck.